Managing Director of Optics11 Life
We are looking for someone who wants to grow into the role of Managing Director as a next step in his/her
Optics11 was founded in 2011 as a university spin-off. With a promising unique technology based on optical fiber sensing, a first product was built in 2012: an extremely sensitive measurement device that could break new ground in the field of tissue engineering and regenerative medicine. After this product, many more unique sensing products were developed and put in the market. The company now has two business units serving different markets with different products: Optics11 Life and Optics11 Industrial Sensing. Over the last
years the company has grown rapidly and employs over 50 professionals, with an installed base of successful products all over the world.
The company is entering into a new growth phase.
The two business units will grow more independently, and accelerate the roll-out of the product roadmap.
Optics11 Life is addressing a large market opportunity. Medical treatment is going through a multi-faceted
revolution. Drug development is seeing a paradigm shift towards 3D cell culture and Organ-On-a-Chip (OOC),
thereby drastically reducing development cost, failure rates and time to market of vital treatments.
Regenerative medicine, which aims to replace damaged tissue in patients based with stem cell based
engineered tissue, will provide a cure for previously untreatable conditions, and contribute to a solution for
shortage of organs for transplantation.
These fields are now developing at a high pace, starting in academia and in R&D and moving towards nearfuture industrial value chains. This will revolutionize medical treatment in many ways. These changes require
new instrumentation, both to drive progress, to validate the achievements and to monitor and control the
future industrial processes.
One of the driving forces behind both the revolution in regenerative medicine as well as Organ-On-a-Chip, is
a deepened understanding of the role of mechanics and forces in physiology and disease. From stem cells to
organoids, from hydrogels to engineered tissues, it is becoming increasingly clear that the mechanobiological state is of major importance to the biological processes. Being able to characterize, monitor and control the mechano-biological state is going to be a key element in the emerging chains.
Optics11 Life is at the leading edge of these emerging industries, and is extremely well equipped to be able
to provide the key instrumentation that these new industrial chains will need.
Within the first year of employment, the MD will get the opportunity to grow into the role of being fully responsible for the total Operations of Optics11 Life. This includes developing an overview and realizing MANAGING DIRECTOR OPTICS11 LIFE alignment of all operational activities from Marketing & Sales, Product Management, Operations and Development. Building a vision on future technology and translate this into a Product Roadmap. Executing the Product roadmap. Continuing the scaling up of the business unit into a mature company with profitable growth.
The MD will report to the CEO Optics11.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Will be responsible for the (Product) strategy and leading the execution of this at Optics11 Life. Understands the Life Science market. Is capable of translating the companies’ strategy into operational activities, roadmap, delivery, budget and planning. Is tracking the progress of the execution and intervenes if significant gaps between forecast and actuals do occur.
- Will be leading the Management Team of Optics11 Life and will be responsible for the total team of employees. Ensures high quality of team members and directs, coaches and supports the team. Personal effectiveness and team collaboration are important drivers.
Personal effectiveness and team collaboration are important drivers.
- The MD will have P&L responsibility. Provides the financial and KPI reporting to the CEO. Has a commercial track-record and sufficient financial knowledge. Knows the value drivers of the Business, monitors and has an overview of the quality of the main processes. Has focus on liquidity, the (midterm) profitability and value creation.
Skills & Competences
- Self-starter, highly motivated, entrepreneurial type of person.
- Proven leadership track record (> 3 years) in the high-tech life sciences devices, instruments or optics.
- Preferably a Life Sciences background
- Feels comfortable in a customer environment of PhD research and Corporate R&D.
- Has experience in building a product portfolio of high-tech productsHas international commercial experience.
- Pragmatic and hands-on
- Open and approachable
What do we offer?
- A very interesting challenge for an entrepreneurially minded candidate, ready for the next step in
his/her career, looking for a leading role in a break-through technology company.
- An attractive package with a base salary, performance bonus and equity options.
- Working for an agile and focused organization that has a clear objective.
- Creating interesting international business opportunities and partnerships.